There are several traditional food preparations for Easter Sunday. One of the most popular main dishes is ham, often served with a homemade glaze. Other popular main dish options include lamb, pork, or roast beef. Sides often include cheesy potato casserole, asparagus, and deviled eggs. For dessert, there are a variety of options, such as four layer banana pudding, Italian Easter cookies, hot cross buns, and simnel cake. Additionally, leftover ham can be used in dishes such as ham and bean soup. Hot cross buns and simnel cake are among the oldest Easter food traditions, while chocolate Easter eggs are a newer tradition that has become very popular.
Here are a few that are sure to tickle your Easter Sunday guests' palates.
Glazed Ham with Pineapple Chutney Recipe:
- 1 fully cooked bone-in ham (15-18 pounds)
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1 can of Dr Pepper or Coke
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Score the ham with a sharp knife.
- Place the ham in a roasting pan.
- Mix together the brown sugar, mustard, Dr Pepper or Coke, and apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Brush about one-third of the glaze over the ham.
- Bake ham for 2 hours, brushing with the remaining glaze every 30 minutes.
- Combine pineapple, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, and lime juice in a bowl to make the chutney.
- Serve ham with pineapple chutney on the side.
Herb-Crusted Rack of Lamb Recipe:
- 2 racks of lamb, frenched (about 1 1/2 pounds each)
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Season the lamb racks with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the mustard, rosemary, thyme, parsley, and mint in a bowl.
- Spread the mixture over the lamb racks.
- Place the lamb racks in a roasting pan.
- Roast for about 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 135°F for medium-rare or 145°F for medium.
- Let the lamb rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Easter Quiche Recipe:
- 1 pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked ham, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped asparagus
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll the pie crust out and place it in a 9-inch pie dish.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese, ham, and asparagus.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the quiche is set and golden brown.
- Let the quiche cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.